My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.reefdisorder.com
and update your bookmarks.


Friday, September 14, 2007

Hello World!!

I am just starting a little blog to talk about my adventures in keeping a reef tank.

But this is about more than just the tank itself. This is also about how this little slice of ocean impacts my relationships at home with my wife and kids. As any coral reefer will tell you, having a reef is one of the most enjoyable and relaxing hobbies in the world. But, it is also expensive. And though maintenance of the reef tank takes little time, the "fiddling" and "staring" can easily usurp an entire evening without you even realizing it. And, that can lead to some pretty interesting conversations.

So, I will talk a little about my current reef tank, but I will really focus on my journey towards a "big" tank and what is involved from many different angles: costs, time, design, spousal negotiations.dmr 026

Let's start with a picture of my current tank before and after. This was my tank when I started.

It is a BioCube 14g and my wife bought it for me for Christmas (2006). I think she has regretted it ever since. This picture was taken on December 31, 2006. Live rock and live sand in and the nitrogen cycle begins. I got a beautiful piece of live rock from my lfs (local fish store). It is a single piece that is 15 lbs.

july 07 017

And here is a picture from just a few weeks ago. It is B-E-A-U-tiful. But, it is getting very very crowded in there and its time to expand.

Next, I'll start talking about the "big tank negotiations." That is where the real fun begins. I'll talk a little bit about my reef obsession and how cigarettes play a major part in my 180-240g slice of paradise.

No comments: